The Carousel On the National Mall
The Carousel on the Mall was built
by the Allen Herschell Company in 1947,
then located in North Tonawanda, NY.
It is known as a traveling machine.
The Carousel is one of a kind. The horses
are four abreast, all jumping. No other
machines were made four abreast after the
Carousel on the Mall. A visitor was added
in 1996, for the, children. A Sea Dragon,
and it's the most popular seat. The Carousel on the Mall
was first delivered to the Gwen Oak Park
in Maryland. It was there when the park
closed. It was then bought from the park
and placed where it is today, here on this
wonderful Mall in our Nations Capital. This
carousel is the only operating carousel in
Washington, DC. Over the years it has been
a favorite attraction to millions of young
and old alike and a meeting place for others.
Many notables have visited with us. The
Carousel on the Mall has had cameo appearances
in a few movies also, you may have noticed.